To identify the best cities for accounting jobs in Canada, it’s important to conduct market research. And to help you begin your research, we’ll look at four factors to consider:
- What’s happening in the accounting and finance environment in Canada
- Provincial or territorial and regional (local) job prospects
- Labor market rating (Good, Fair, or Limited)
- Factors that influence the demand for accountants in each province or territory.
Because the finance sector is largely concentrated in Toronto, accountants may gravitate to Toronto. But great accounting jobs are available in many large and small cities in Canada. And, if you work in sectors other than finance such as technology, or health care, you can explore many cities.
Also, you may want to consider if you prefer living in a large bustling city, or a small and more relaxed city. Because small cities can provide a great advantage because the job market may be less competitive.
Now let’s look at four factors that will help you to determine the best cities for accounting jobs in Canada.
1. What’s happening in the accounting environment
It’s helpful to research what’s happening in the accounting environment. For example, it’s important to know:
- Job market projections that identify the number of job seekers and job openings in Canada. You can start your research using Government of Canada information.
- Provinces or territories that have a strong demand for accountants
- Regions and cities within the province have a strong demand
And, when you know this information, you can identify cities that provide the best job prospects before you arrive.
2. Provincial and regional job prospects
While accountants are in demand in Canada, you need to know the market conditions. Labour market conditions vary across Canada. However, with an aging workforce expected to retire within the next decade, Canadian employers will need to fill those positions. And this demographic reality is creating the demand for accountants in cities across Canada.
So, if you have the right skills and designations, you’ll likely find great jobs in many cities.
Labour market rating
You can find out what the labor market is like for accounting jobs in Canada by looking at the Government of Canada’s Labour Market Information (LMI) site. Here you’ll find information for jobs based on the National Occupational Classification (NOC 1111).
As well, you can research labor market information for various accounting titles by using either:
- A job title, or
- The four-digit National Occupational Code (NOC)
Here are a few job titles related to NOC 1111:
- Accounting Controller
- Tax Auditor
- Cost Accountant
- Senior Accountant
- Public Accountant
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA), Certified General Accountant (CGA)
3. Know how the accounting job market is rated
Using a 3-star rating system, you can determine if the job market is:
⭐⭐⭐ Good: compared to other occupations, the job outlook in the short- to medium-term is better than average in the region.
⭐⭐Fair: the job outlook for the short- to medium-term is comparable to other professions. The demand for labor may be average or greater than average, and the supply of workers is similar to the labor demand.
⭐Limited: the job outlook for the short- to medium-term is below average compared to other professions.
So, when you conduct research, you can use the rating system to:
- Identify what provinces have fair or good job prospects for accountants.
- Learn what regions and cities within the province have a good outlook.
Explore job potential in the province to discover the best cities for accounting jobs in Canada
It’s important to look at labor market conditions at the provincial level first. And then you can assess the job outlook at the regional level. Using this approach, you’ll get a clear picture of which cities have the jobs you’re searching for.
For example, you may find the provincial job outlook is fair or Limited. However, you may find regions within the province where the outlook is good. And that means you can find more job opportunities by looking at both the provincial and regional outlook.
So to better understand how to use the Labour Market Information (LMI), we’ll take a closer look at the labor market conditions for an Accountant. You can click on the links to find information about the role and labor market needs.
4. Factors that influence the job outlook for accountants
Many factors contribute to the number of accounting jobs available in Canadian cities such as the:
- Projected employment growth for the city or region
- The number of jobs that are available due to changing demographics (for example Canada’s aging population means accountants will retire within the next decade).
- Number of people that are available to work
- Supply of available and experienced accountants with relevant designations.
So, it’s important to consider all of this information. And with this information, you’ll likely make your job search much easier when you arrive. So, start by using the information and links provided here to conduct further research.
- It’s important to know where accounting jobs are in demand to identify the best cities for accounting jobs.
- You can search for information about accounting labor needs by using the National Occupational Classification (NOC: 1111)
- The Government of Canada provides important labor market information that will help you to understand accounting job market conditions. And this is a great starting point to find out what provinces have a good, or fair job outlook. With a rapidly aging population in Canada, job vacancies will likely increase as many in the workforce plan to retire over the next decade. And, with the right skills, designations, and experience you can land your dream job in many cities in Canada.
Get the help you need to achieve your career goals in Canada. For assistance in preparing your resume or you need more specific interview guidelines that best suit your personal requirements to have a breakthrough in the Canadian job market reach out to Gettrainedgethired.com to book a free 30-Minute career counseling meeting. At Gettrainedgethired.com we provide you with the necessary training to learn practical skills to become an accountant. Our training is based on practical real-life cases. After the training, we work on your resume and try to place you in accounting firms through our network. You will also get access to like-minded individuals who are looking for jobs through our WhatsApp group. Please feel free to contact us at [email protected]. Or call us at 647-870-6986
Disclaimer: The information provided on this page is intended to provide general information. The information does not consider your situation and is not intended to be used without consultation from professionals. Salman Rundhawa and Gettrainedgethired.com will not be held liable for any problems that arise from the usage of the information provided on this page.